header

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Truth About Editing

Now that the June birthdays have come and gone it's time to get to work.

And editing isn't easy. I have to say, I didn't expect it to be this difficult.
When I first got my letter I read through it, printed it out and then set it aside for a week or two.
I wasn't exactly ignoring it, but I just needed some space, you know, to work out a few issues and figure some things out.
The one thing I've learned from the whole revision process is that the easy fix is rarely the best fix.
As much as I'd love to just throw in a word or a sentence and say, "there, all better," it doesn't exactly work that way.
And that's why I needed some time to think.
I have a feeling this book is going to be much different than when I started. And that's a good thing.
The other thing I've learned through this process is that this is no longer just my story.
I now have an amazing editor who talks with me and brainstorms with me and encourages me to get it just right.
And that's new. Writing tends to be a rather solitary adventure.

Yay teamwork!

And the other thing that's new is that while I was working this little thought crawled up inside my mind and just sat there waiting for me to notice it.

This story is no longer just for you. Other people are going to read it soon.

At first I just ignored this thought. Isn't this what I always wanted?
Yes. Of course it is. And then it hit me, because obviously it didn't fully sink in when I got the call or signed the contract. Nope. I had to sit down and rewrite a scene for me to believe, for all of it to feel real.
My book is going to be published. My book. My words.

And soon.

So now that I have that going on, here's to rewrites and fixes and long nights of editing.

And lots and lots of chocolate.


Don't forget to enter the contest! Monday is the last day to enter!!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, yes--Edits can be such a crazy trip!!! Lord, I got so exhausted with my own book after 3 1/2 intense weeks editing, I can't even look at it or think about editing any more!!! But you're right about teamwork--such a mind-blowing and relaxing feeling for me. As I work on the first draft of Book II, I'm like, well, if this sucks, Edit Lady will always have ideas on how to fix it!!! Much better than being a little writer all alone pounding out words in the dark--this teamwork stuff is something magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather- Agreed! Three 1/2 weeks! I think I may pass that!

    ReplyDelete