header

Monday, February 6, 2012

Writing

This weekend I spent a lot of time writing. And also a lot of time staring out the window. I find in order to get a story down I need to do a whole lot of both.
I'm not sure how other writers work but for me I need solitude, which can make for a very lonely day. Sure my characters keep me company but in the beginning we're in that awkward getting-to-know-you stage and sometimes it feels like I'm deleting more than I'm saving.
My husband keeps encouraging me to try writing in a cafe or a coffee shop and I have to say I'm always intrigued by writers who can do this. But I'm pretty sure I'm not one of them. I'm too easily distracted. Here's how it would go:
Drive to Starbucks
Find a seat where there's little risk of someone spilling liquid on me or my laptop
Turn on laptop and while it's doing its thing immediately notice the couple to my left who appear to be on some kind of date
Decide that she's not as into him as he appears to be
Text husband with update: This is great. I'm glad I left the house.
Go back to subtle observation of Starbuck's date
She keeps shifting away from him. Bad sign.
Glance back at screen and find I haven't even opened Word yet
Open Word
While Word is doing its thing notice two teenage girls texting while eating
Wonder why people text when they're out with other people
Text husband: Why do people text when they're out with other people?
Husband's reply: Are you getting any writing done?
Me: Tons.
Open new book project
Notice that keyboard is rather dirty under the Starbuck's lights
Get up and look for napkin
Return to laptop and find that Starbuck's couple is now leaving
Watch as he holds the door open for her
Notice how she doesn't seem impressed
Text from husband: Are we out of peanut butter?
Me: Don't bother me, I'm writing. =)Kisses!

<-------- I think I should stick to my own little writing corner. Less distractions.

This weekend when I emerged from writing I found that my children smelled different. They usually smell like maple brown sugar oatmeal, strawberry yogurt or peanut butter. But after spending the weekend with their Mima and consuming an entire bag of ginger snaps they now smell like the inside of a health food store.
I have to admit, it keeps throwing me off.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you had a quiet weekend to write! I love your coffee shop scenario - I also have a hard time concentrating in situations like that. And your kids smelling different = hilarious!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for good writing time this weekend! I used to love going to coffeeshops, I was able to put in headphones and drown everything out, but the past few months I've just been writing from home. And yeah, I get a lot more done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working from home is best, although, I do wish the hot chocolate was better.

      Delete
  3. Great to have you posting again!
    I get easily distracted and then totally put off by interruptions, so I generally write in solitude. ( :
    Romi.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Romi! Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete