header

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Book Review!




So because I love books and I read them often it only makes sense that I should feature some of them here on my blog. Right?
Of course.
Today I'm going to write about The Chosen One.
I've had this on my TBR pile for about a year now. You see Carol Lynch Williams and I have something in common. We have the same agent. And just before I signed with him I had a wonderful phone conversation with Carol where she asked me question after question and I tried desperately to use my words and form sentences because I'd heard so much about her book and how brilliant it is and I'd been drawn to the cover in the bookstore (because it's so eye catching) and I was a bit starstruck... But Carol was so very nice and patient and I think I probably asked her the same question three times just because I was so nervous but she didn't seem to notice. Or did she??
Anyway.
She's great. I love Carol Lynch Williams. One day I will write half as well as she does...
And the book?
Yes. The book.
So it took me a while to get around to this one. Even though just after I hung up the phone I turned to my husband and said, "We need to go and buy this book. Right now!"
But, um, I didn't exactly read it right away. First my mother read it (who was visiting from Utah) and then my mother-in-law read it and once it was back in my hands I successfully kept from reading it until just last week. (Over a year from when I first bought the book)
Yes. I know. I'm really good at putting things off. You see I knew I was going to be so completely swept away by the book but I was much too much of a wuss to read it.
Books about Polygamy really get to me.
Or rather books about a victim, that is a child, really get to me.
But The Chosen One has been calling me. Staring me right in the eye day after day, month after month, whispering, "You're a wuss, Shari. Read me. Now."
So I picked it up and sat down and began to read.
Now I'm not going to spoil anything for you because I truly believe that everyone should read this book. And you shouldn't be afraid like I was.
I could go on and on about Kyra and what an amazingly strong character she is or write about how I don't understand why her parents would allow these things to happen to her, mainly her father, and do absolutely nothing to stop them. I realize how difficult it would be for them to leave the compound and exist in a world where a man doesn't marry more than one woman at a time. Kyra's father would be forced to choose one of his wives and then what would become of the others? Or the children of his other wives which are still his children?
Complicated. I know.
But I'm not going to write about that. Nope. You will have to read the book to find out more about Kyra and her family.
This book captured me from the very first standout line and made my heart race. It was a physical read for me. While my mind was caught up in the simple yet poetic descriptions and observations my chest grew tight from the tension building page by page. There were moments I was so terrified I had to stand up and walk around the room!
And just in case you were wondering how a great book should begin here's the opening line:

If I was going to kill the Prophet," I say, not even keeping my voice low, "I'd do it in Africa."

Enough said.
Now go read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment